Ithaca, N.Y. — Smoke was pouring from the basement of a home in Ithaca’s Collegetown when firefighters arrived there Sunday afternoon.

The resident had been forced outside. He had tried to fight the blaze himself but “was pushed back by the acrid smoke,” Lt. Thomas Basher said.

Firefighters had to act quickly. They fought through the wall of smoke to the home’s lower-level, where they found “major damage” to the kitchen area of the Brandon Place residence.

A fire had been started by an unattended pot on the stove. The fire crews were able to put it out, Basher said.

“No occupants were injured in the blaze, but one firefighter suffered a twisted ankle,” Basher said.

The fire occurred around 5:30 p.m. at 107 Brandon Place on East Hill.


Around the same time they contended with the Brandon Place blaze, Ithaca firefighters were called to the gorge trail off of Giles Street for a man who had fallen.

The man was injured and had to be rescued by firefighters and Bangs Ambulance personnel. He was loaded onto an ATV and taken to an ambulance.

That rescue occurred a little before 6 p.m.


Follow The Ithaca Voice on Facebook | Twitter

Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.