The IFD's Hazmat Team at Kendal of Ithaca. (Courtesy of the Ithaca Fire Department)

Ithaca, N.Y. — A maintenance worker at Kendal of Ithaca was hospitalized early Sunday morning after he was “overcome by fumes from pool chemicals,” Lt. Thomas Basher of the Ithaca Fire Department said.

Emergency responders were called at about 4 a.m. to the senior home at 2230 North Triphammer Road.

The IFD’s Hazmat Team at Kendal of Ithaca. (Courtesy of the Ithaca Fire Department)
The IFD’s Hazmat Team at Kendal of Ithaca. (Courtesy of the Ithaca Fire Department)

“A worker was having difficulty breathing after changing chemicals in the community pool,” Basher said.

“He was overcome by fumes after he accidentally put chlorine in a container for muriatic acid.”

The man was taken by Bangs Ambulance to Cayuga Medical Center. The IFD’s Hazardous Materials Team was called to the facility to test for chemicals.

Basher said he didn’t think there were any evacuations.

“The area was isolated,” Basher said. “People were in a protected place.”

Responders were able to keep the fumes under control, Basher said.

“They contained it to the pool side, closed doors and used fans to keep it from the residents,” he said.

The facility was turned back over to Kendal staff at 9:15 a.m. A press release did not say how serious the worker’s injuries were.


Follow The Ithaca Voice on Facebook | Twitter

Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.